"teh basement cat iz in ur screen, stealin' ur blogz..."

Wednesday 17 December 2008

Eye of Newt

Last night, my friend Tom and I indulged in a little theatre of the musical variety. I first saw The Witches of Eastwick at the Prince of Wales in London when I was 18, on a summer school at Guildford School of Acting. Yes, in my younger and more vulnerable years I was of a thespian bent, and this was a theme that carried on through into student theatre while at University (in Glasvegas, no less).

About a month or so ago I spotted a posted for the current tour, starring Marti Pellow as Darryl Van Horne. Having never quite forgiven the Rocking Revs at school for murdering ‘Love Is All Around’ I was torn as to whether I would risk it, but remembering how much I enjoyed it those years ago, I suggested it to Tom and then booked us tickets.

I have to admit I was a little excited. It has been ages since I last went to the theatre, and the Playhouse in Edinburgh is a quaint little affair, all dark wood, red paint and gilted cornicing. In other words, it really does give you that theatrical buzz. My only regret was that I didn’t pick up a packet of Fruit Pastilles at the refreshments stall, something that was synonymous with a visit to the theatre as a child.

The production itself was excellent. Working with quite a small stage area, they had a compact set that filled the space well without swamping it. The orchestra were spot on, and the chorus were fantastic. One blonde lad particularly stood out, and Tom noted wryly that if his Fitlads profile was anything to go by, he wasn’t half as innocent as he looked. Had a bit of the Jude Law circa Talented Mister Ripley about him.

The stars of the show were, by far and away, the three witches: Alexandra, Jane and Sukie. Jane entirely stole it for me, with real presence and a simmering sauciness she unleashed with absolute abandon.

Marti Pellow, as Tom put it in the interval, came across a bit more the Devil’s nephew rather than the man himself. I couldn’t help but agree. He seemed skittish and lacked depth, his antics on stage obscene rather than seductive. Vocally, as you might expect, he acquitted himself well, but he wasn’t the saucy devil he should have been. To be fair, he came back quite strongly in the second half, but that was largely down to his signature piece ‘Dance with the Devil’, which suited his overly energetic style.

All that said, it was a bloody good laugh and I really enjoyed it. Wasn’t as good as it could have been, but then I never understood the casting of Jack Nicholson in the movie. He just wasn’t sexy, and at least Marti cut a dashing, increasingly dishevelled figure as the show progressed. Definitely worth a pop if you can catch it. Good songs, some great harmonies coming from the girls, and a solid performance from the leads.

And I really liked the look of that blonde lad in the chorus, did I mention he was fit?

No comments: